Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Hello, I drive Thumper, a white 2015 Fiesta SE 1.6

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Welcome to the forum. There are many cooling system maintenance tips in the maintenance and troubleshooting section.
You might want to verify that your cooling fans are still functional by locating the relays and checking that they are not fried.

City
Costa mesa
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Ford Fiesta SEL
You have to get that fixed, I had a heating issue that I should have paid more attention to and had to get a new engine, I had a seized fan that then burst my coolant reservoir and eventually warped my rods. $3600 and 2 months down I finally got it back…. And make sure you have coolant. If it feels like a furnace with the A/C on full then it’s already getting to late

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Then it's time to round up the usual suspects...

1690739215809.png

See anything that looks like it could be the culprit?​

Last edited:

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Once a car has over five years or 50,000 miles of use, any one or more areas can become a problem.

OP
H

hamhawk

City
San Carlos
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Fiesta SE 1.6
Thread Starter #7
I've changed the belt(had issues), thermostat(definitely stuck closed), fan (was frozen), engine coolant sensor(still not reading right), plus I've flushed the coolant (all of it) twice. I've also changed out the relays, and fuses applicable. I really don't want to swap the water pump because that means a LOT of work and I'm pretty certain its working from my temperature readings, the coolant is definitely moving... its just not cooling down unless the vehicle is moving at more than 20-25mph. Unless the heater is on full blast, then it cools down at about 2-3F per minute.
My scanning software keeps pointing to a error with the engine coolant sensor not reading the right temp, so I'm going to replace the replacement and cross my fingers.

She's only gone into limp mode twice, and each time I stopped and turned off the engine within a minute and let it cool down, then immediately flushed the coolant after returning home.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Do the cooling fans come on when you turn the A/C on high?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There is also the issue of the radiator - is it plugged?

There are several "checks" you can do.

Per @scotman - turning on your AC should turn on the Radiator FAN and also the Blower motor.

Turn off AC - turn on HEAT - does it blow hot air thru the vents?

When you're at idle - do you get heat or AC - or is it weak?

Then when you drive does it get hotter or cooler depending on the setting?

IF it does vary, then that means the water pump is shot it is not able to move enough coolant to keep the engine cool, can't push out the hot fluid to get to the radiator.- needs RPM to push the fluid thru the motor to even get heat out of it, then to the outside - and if the pumps impeller is worn, only speed and RPM push the fluid and that's too much of the wrong thing to help with your situation.

You said the thermostat was stuck shut, so that creates a backpressure and the heater core can only do so much - that may mean the water pump has, or is, failing.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
There are several identical relays that serve different functions. I usually pick a circuit to temporarily borrow a relay from to verify that the relay is the culprit for the failure. If the cooling fan becomes functional,you found the problem. image.jpg