Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Clutch problems - can you help please?

jm01905

City
Worcester
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta Zetech 1242cc 2014
Hi. I'm new to the forum - what a great place! Brilliant to meet fellow Fiesta owners - you all have great taste! Can you help me please?

I've recently bought my first car - a 2014 Ford Fiesta Zetech 1242cc Petrol. It's a really nice car, but I'm having a problem with the clutch. I was wondering if anyone help me work out what it may be please so I can convince the garage I bought it from to fix it?

Unfortunately the problem I have is intermittent (aren't they always?!). The garage had it in but drove it around for half an hour with no problems so sent me on my way. They're saying they can't/won't fix it until they see it not working. I think they should investigate it more. They've tried to pass it off as driver error, but I'm glad that exactly the same has now happened to my Dad so that rules that out (I was starting to think I was going mad).

Here's what happened to me this morning, which is pretty typical:
  • Pulled up at roundabout.
  • Pressed clutch down and slipped into first as I slowed down. Kept clutch down.
  • When the traffic started moving I lifted the clutch and the car started to move straight away – it was as though I was immediately at the bite-point (whereas normally I can lift the clutch a few inches before I hit the bite-point and the car begins to move). Then it stalled as I began to move. Even though I put the clutch fully down to stop it stalling, it had no effect.
  • Stopped car, put back into first and started again in first with clutch down. Same happened, as soon as I took the slightest pressure off the clutch it began to move. This time I tried to move the car out of first when the engine was running, but I couldn’t move out of first when the engine was running, even with the clutch fully down.
  • Stopped car, put into neutral. Noticed the clutch had less resistance, and it didn’t come back up all the way.
  • Then stopped the car and started in neutral, but now I couldn’t push the car into first gear with the clutch fully down. It felt as though I was trying to put it into first without using the clutch.
  • Stopped the car. I was now able to come out of first as the engine wasn't running and put the car into neutral. Clutch was soft again. I then realised that pumping the clutch a few times while in neutral gets the clutch back to normal again. Able to put it into first and drive away.
  • Same happened a few minutes later.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? It really doesn't feel safe at the moment.
Many thanks in advance,
JM01905.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
By your symptoms - You have "air in the line" the Clutch is hydraulic and the grabbing issue is similar to what I've experienced after a "Date" with a service agent that serviced my transmission at a local dealership.

So long story short, air bubbles are affecting the pressure of the "grab-it" has on the shift point where the clutch meets the plate.

Bleed it down - let them do it - it's easy. To have them also verify there are none, it just might help convince them - and they need to "fully throw" that clutch to make sure the piston is fully down and extended and retracted - the issue may be from a kink in the line or when release quickly - the vacuum might suck in that air to cause this on the side that slave or portion of this system that is at the clutch - is causing this.

Have them check the Brake fluid level - since it uses the same container - if it's low - this is a signal that something needs to be checked - not just the clutch but brakes too.

That system is self-bleeding (to a point) - meaning there is some give (reach) to the piston that when it is at rest it lets or burps off the air past itself into the line that goes to the resivour there at the brake Master Cylinder - but if this keeps happening the system needs to be checked - especially after some hard miles and if its used and you're the new owner - don't want a clutch to fail too soon. It could signal a clutch replacement (long throw extension takes a considerable volume of fluid when the clutch is worn down and if worn - much of the slave unit already holds a bit of fluid - just like brake calipers do as their media wears down - that space in the piston gets bigger needs more fluid to move it)

Other issue that you might want to "feel for during shifting" is the shift pattern (your "H" pattern) does it change too?

Might signal a weak motor mount mount or two or three - one under the battery, one under the car, and one on the side where the belt - serpentine - is at. The motor shifts when the torque is changed so the shift pattern as well as the hoses to the clutch - their aspects are affected,

Last edited:
OP
J

jm01905

City
Worcester
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta Zetech 1242cc 2014
Thread Starter #3
Thanks Andy, that's really useful. I'm booked in at the garage tomorrow morning so if I can suggest a few areas to point them in that's brilliant.

Anyone any other suggestions?