Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

I think my SYNC module has corrupted somehow

City
North Spain
State
Non-US
Country
Spain
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta ecoboost
Hello there!

I registered here about 5 months ago, and finally, after 2 years of being the owner of my first car, a very early, probably pre-serial 2014 fiesta ecoboost, i encountered my first problem, related with my sync module,

I was last weekend with some friends, and i was on a call via syncs handset, i parked the car and when i turned the engine off, sync changed from the handset to my phone (redmi note 11 pro 5G with android 14), i stopped for like 2 minutes and then i went back to my car, and for my surprise, when i turned the car back on, sync was supossed to connect to my phone back and put the call on the handset, but all i got was an "error when connecting to redmi" tried connecting manually, still no luck, so i basically did a reset on sync, and tried re-pairing my phone, but now it wont even pair, when pairing automatically sync disconnects the bluetooth, so i get the "pairing failed" error on sync, and the unable to pair error in my phone, it seems sync has corrupted, tried pairing iphones, other androids and trying even pairing via the usb port, sync just cutted the power delievery to the usb when connecting my phone... So it seems the software has kind of corrupted

Worth mentioning, i do believe the car still has sync 1.0, i tracked the Lic plate, and it seems the car was used in the past by a grandfather and her granddaughter, so probably they didn't bother in updating it or anything, thing that i am scared of as an electronics student. If you incorrectly flash new firmware on anything, you can turn it into an expensive brick, and i thought that could solve that problem and the problem i had before, that is that sync doesnt prevent my android going into 5G saving mode (basically after some time of no use, modern androids disable 4G/5G connectivity for saving both battery and your phone plan limits), so after some time, spotify stopped playing songs, that made me interact with my phone for having them back (just turn the screen back on is enough)...

I don't really know what to do at this point, nor i know if anyone has experienced this fault before, i hope someone can help me

(P.S. sorry for my bad english, english isn't my first language, and don't roast me for having an android, i'm not rich :( )

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Due to changes in the 2G to 3G many older Fords lost the ability to use the 911 assist that came with the car - those Cell towers just don't talk to these units anymore - so you'll have to "pipe in" either by Cord using the AUX or maybe the BT.

But - as even I am finding out - the system due to some recent law changes regarding Hands-Free devices - many that use their phones and the car to talk to each other - that has been lost somehow in all of this - possibly due to regulations around the definition of Hands-Free versus the mounted on the vehicle communication systems - this pause you encountered may have been the phone to car - last gasp before the update occurred and you lost communication.

So you may need to keep your phone disconnected from the cars' system unless you play music then the phone ID becomes your domain and the license is kept at the phone - then the BT unit will communicate to the car and your phone then becomes an "island" and you'll have to find means to connect that.

GM, Kia - all those big automakers even the later Ford models, have already updated too. Meaning - the BT version and the chipset are different so the support for older BT units and their backwards compatibility - are what is going on here.